How to buy the book

You can order at History Press as well as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other on-line retailers. I will send you a signed copy for $23, a little extra to cover shipping. I will send you both Slave Labor in the Capital and Through a Fiery Trial for $40. Send a check to me at PO Box 63, Wellesley Island, NY 13640-0063.

My lectures at Sotterley Plantation in St. Mary's County, Maryland, on September 23, 2015, and the DAR Library on December 5 are now blog posts below listed under book talks. The talk I gave
at the Politics and Prose Bookstore on February 28, 2015, along with Heather Butts, author African American Medicine in Washington, was taped by the bookstore. Take a listen.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Did the overseer have a staff?

I'm trying to share all of the payrolls I photocopied at the National Archives back in 1989 hoping the others can better interpret them than I can. The small payroll below puzzled me because I could not figure out how the days worked multiplied by the wage rate equals the wage paid. However, lying in bed one morning 5 months after writing the book, I think I figured it out: the 150 in line with Smallwood's name is the rate of pay for the month in shillings, so that Smallwood was promised 7 pounds, 10 shillings a month. But for that month he only received 7/4/2 because the 25 days work was not rated a full month and he was deducted 5/10 for one day less than the full 26 day month (30 days less 4 Sundays.) Strange way to keep track of things. I'll sleep on this some more.

Then as I kept looking at the payroll something else struck me. In 1798 Smallwood became the lone overseer in charge of the hired laborers, including the hired slave laborers. He had to work closely with the cook listed as Jean Short in this payroll. (Usually she was listed as Jane Short.) Could the four other men on the list have been assistants to the overseer and cook? Two of the men listed were probably hired slaves. Smallwood usually listed the master's last name directly after the slave's first name with the master signing for receiving the wages. In this payroll Jacob Clements signed for Henry Clemonds and Smallwood himself signed for James Deakins. I suggest that James was the slave of a master named Deakins. (There was a family of that name in Georgetown.) Finally in the last line of the payroll Smallwood receives money for ringing the work bell at the Capitol. The bell rang out when work began and when there were breaks for meals. Perhaps after Smallwood rang the bell, the four men, two of them slaves, helped distribute the meals from the cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment