How to buy the book

You can order at History Press as well as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other on-line retailers. I will send you a signed copy for $23, a little extra to cover shipping. I will send you both Slave Labor in the Capital and Through a Fiery Trial for $40. Send a check to me at PO Box 63, Wellesley Island, NY 13640-0063.

My lectures at Sotterley Plantation in St. Mary's County, Maryland, on September 23, 2015, and the DAR Library on December 5 are now blog posts below listed under book talks. The talk I gave
at the Politics and Prose Bookstore on February 28, 2015, along with Heather Butts, author African American Medicine in Washington, was taped by the bookstore. Take a listen.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

More than a farm overseer: Smallwood's letter April 1, 1798

"Judging from a letter Samuel Smallwood wrote to the commissioners, he envied the slaves. He was vexed that he had to sweat over attendance sheets and payrolls after the bell rang marking the end of the work day."

Quote for Slave Labor in the Capital, page137

Perhaps "envied" is not the right word to use, but Samuel Smallwood's letters are open to many interpretations. He paints his job as a difficult one and because of that he deserves a raise.

In this letter he again harps on the lack of vegetables and bad food. The commissioners did give him a raise. He was a valuable employee. Unfortunately, the commissioners never wrote letters of commendation. It was beneath them. So in our effort to understand what he did we are left with the stilted prose of Smallwood and his stand for his due.

Instead of describing himself as overseer of hired slaves, he is in charge of "management of the Laboring Department." Did that pride in what he did rub off on the laborers, both yearly hires who were mostly slaves and the many whites who were monthly hires?

Washington, April 1st, 1798
Gentlemen, I once more take the liberty of presenting you a few lines in the following manner viz In the first place to shew you gentlemen that my wages are not ---- to the tasks that are confered upon me at the Capt building. The management of the labouring department has been under the direction of two overseers ever since the Capt began until the present season tho business appears as hard to manage as it ever was, but I conceive that I can do the hole business myself by using greater exertions which I always took a pleasure in doing for good of the public but Gentlemen I hope you will take this in to consideration and if you think my wages are adequate to this task after taking this in your consideration I will then rest in content. I hope Gentlemen will likewise consider my bad accommodations you may rest ashored that my living are very hard. It is said I have so much and Found but it cannot be cauld Found where there is only meat and bread alone - a man cant live on that where there is aplenty of other vigitibils and to have these things to buy out of my wages it reduces it to a mear nothing - Gentlemen if I did not think that I earned better wages I would not solicit you on this subject. I ever have done in all my power for the ---- of the Publick and I hope it will ever be my determination so to act. Its likely gentlemen you may think my wages are as great as and overseers can get on the country in a farm but a man in this place as myself have I suppose three times the hands to manage as and overseer on a farm. Likewise I have a great deal of troubel in making out return of the Labr and paying of the monthly labr that I do all of nights after bell rings which I hope you will gentlemen conceive that I am deserving of and addisionnal to my present wages. no more at present only remain your most obd & humb servt, Saml N Smallwood


No comments:

Post a Comment