How to buy the book

You can order at History Press as well as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other on-line retailers. I will send you a signed copy for $23, a little extra to cover shipping. I will send you both Slave Labor in the Capital and Through a Fiery Trial for $40. Send a check to me at PO Box 63, Wellesley Island, NY 13640-0063.

My lectures at Sotterley Plantation in St. Mary's County, Maryland, on September 23, 2015, and the DAR Library on December 5 are now blog posts below listed under book talks. The talk I gave
at the Politics and Prose Bookstore on February 28, 2015, along with Heather Butts, author African American Medicine in Washington, was taped by the bookstore. Take a listen.

Monday, November 16, 2015

An overseer protests when slaves that he owns are dismissed

"Samuel Smallwood, the overseer of the laborers at the Capitol, began hiring out his own slaves by the month to work at the Capitol. In September 1797, in order to economize, the commissioners stopped monthly hires. Small complained to the commissioners."
Quote from Slave Labor in the Capital, page 29
November 13, 1797
Hon. Gentlemen, I take the Liberty of presenting you a few lines concerning of my Labs that are wrought at the Capt [Capitol] by the month and now are discharged. Gentlemen, I hope you will take it in Consideration and Grant me that Liberty of taking them in again by the Month as I my Self are Employed by the month. If I can't prevail on you Gentlemen to take them in again, It will Certainly take my own Wages to Support them this winter as they are not one Days work to be had Gentlemen. Your Compliance will greatly Oblige your most Obedient Hum Servt
Saml N Smallwood
Captl Hill



No comments:

Post a Comment