How to buy the book

You can order at History Press as well as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other on-line retailers. I will send you a signed copy for $23, a little extra to cover shipping. I will send you both Slave Labor in the Capital and Through a Fiery Trial for $40. Send a check to me at PO Box 63, Wellesley Island, NY 13640-0063.

My lectures at Sotterley Plantation in St. Mary's County, Maryland, on September 23, 2015, and the DAR Library on December 5 are now blog posts below listed under book talks. The talk I gave
at the Politics and Prose Bookstore on February 28, 2015, along with Heather Butts, author African American Medicine in Washington, was taped by the bookstore. Take a listen.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

"Liberty" in the yard

To get some idea of the working conditions of the slave laborers, we have to consider the working condition of free skilled workers. In 1799 the commissioners investigated reports of carpenters loafing on the job and fired several. In the letter below one of the fired carpenters asked to be reinstated. He admitted "that every man in the yard took whatever Liberty almost he pleased as the main thing was to keep time," but he worked more than others.

Obviously there was no "liberty" for slave laborers in the same sense that free carpenters enjoyed it, but it likely that the slaves at the work site also got to "keep time" rather keep up a hard pace of work. As far as I can tell, Tompkins wasn't rehired nor did he get a hearing, as was accorded to the Master Carpenter Redmond Purcell. 
April 9 , 1799
 Gentlemen, I beg leave to write a few lines to you. Informing you of my present situation Which I hope you will take into consideration. I am discharged from public service and do not know for what. I have been informed it was for not doing my duty in planing shingles. Gentlemen, I acknowledge that there might been more work done than was but it was so general that every man in the yard took whatever Liberty almost he pleased as the main thing was to keep time. But even the Charge which was against me is a very gross mistake for I believe I dressed as many shingles on the time I was at work as any man their. But I was not dressing shingles more than three or four weeks. I hope Gentlemen you will take this in your consideration that I have purchased a [building] lott of you and being thrown out of work now at this dull time it will render me unable to fulfill my contract with you and support my family and if I am discharged for not doing a full days work every day, every carpenter might be discharged for the same reason. Gentlemen you will think proper to reinstate me again I dare say their will be no more complaint against us I expect their will be more regularity with the carpenters. If the Gentlemen should not think proper to put me to work I hope they will allow me a hearing. I conceive myself as much injured although I was a journeyman as if I was the master carpenter. James Tompkins


No comments:

Post a Comment